What is meditation?
Meditation is the practice of mindfulness and self-awareness, with it’s daily practice we can teach our minds to observe stressful thoughts without judgment in a relaxed way.
What are the benefits of meditation?
- Better sleep
- Build skills to manage stress.
- Increasing self-awareness.
- Focus on the present.
- Increase Positivity
- Increased imagination and creativity.
- Increased patience and tolerance.
- Increased focus and concentration
- Increased self-confidence.
Who is Thor?
Thor is a handmade crochet stuffed Dragon that will turn into your child’s new meditation buddy.
What are the benefits of meditation for children?
- Improves sleep.
- Calms and resets the nervous system
- Increases focus and concentration
- Improves creativity and self-confidence
- Reduces stress and anxiety.
- Increases self-awareness, emotional regulation, and empathy.
- Improves school performance
- Teaches mindfulness
- Decreases stress hormones
Can I meditate with my child?
Of course! Even though, meditation is a personal journey, feel free to sit next to your child while you both meditate.
Don’t we all know how to breathe?
While we don’t think about every breath we take to survive, taking deep breaths, the breaths that overwhelm our body with the feeling of calm take some practice to achieve. The sooner our kids learn this magical trick, the less stress they will carry with them.
At what age can kids start meditating?
Kids can start from Toddlerhood. It doesn’t matter if they start only with a few seconds at a time. They will get there, we promise.
Can my toddler meditate?
Of course! Even if they start meditating a few seconds at a time. This practice takes patience, but they will get there, we promise.
Can kids with ADHD meditate?
Of course, not only kids with ADHD meditate, but meditation will open the world of new tools to contain their energy and increase their focus and concentration.
What is mindfulness?
Mindfulness means to be fully present in the moment, in other words, paying full attention to the moment you are living. You slow down and immerse in what you are doing.
Why should I teach my child mindfulness?
When we teach mindfulness to kids, we give them the tools they need to build confidence, cope with stress, and relate to uncomfortable or challenging moments. The earlier we do so in their young lives, the greater the opportunity to help them cultivate resilience and develop and refine their mindfulness practice as they mature.
Teaching mindfulness to kids can also help shape three critical skills developed in early childhood: paying attention and remembering information, shifting back and forth between tasks, and behaving appropriately with others. These abilities are known as executive functions and they are essential for more advanced tasks like planning, reasoning, problem-solving, and positive social relationships.
What are the benefits of teaching mindfulness to kids?
There Benefits of Mindfulness for Kids
The benefits of mindfulness for kids include:
- Increased attention, focus, self-control, and compassion.
- Improved academic performance, paying attention in school, ability to resolve conflict, and overall well-being.
- Decreased levels of stress, depression, anxiety, and disruptive behavior.
How do I prepare my child to meditate?
- Teach your child to focus on their breath by using the included breathing activity cards.
- Use affirmation cards
- Use the included cards to find an affirmation that resonates with your child
- Ask them to close their eyes, put the card on their heart, and feel how it is absorbed with each deep breath.
- Guide them through the exercise by having them think about examples of behaviors that relate to the affirmation they are working on.
- Use Thor-The-Meditation-Dragon
- Thor is the perfect Meditation buddy, it will help the child stay present, bring awareness to their breathing, focus, and calm their nervous systems while finding their inner dragon.
- To help focus on their breathing, have the child hold Thor’s hands simultaneously, and press them as the child is breathing in. Then, slowly release Thor’s hand without letting go while they are breathing out.
- You can also have the child pick an affirmation card for Thor. The child can use their imagination to think about how that affirmation might resonate with Thor.
What is the best time of day to meditate?
The best time is the time that works for your family’s schedule. For our family, it works as part of our evening routine. There is no best time, consistency is the goal.
Does my child need to close their eyes while meditating?
Although it will be easier for them to focus if they do, it’s ok if they don’t at first. Just sitting down and relaxing is a great start.
It sounds great, but how do I get started?
Start by setting your intention, and adjusting your expectations. Understand that mastering the practice of meditation takes time, consistency, and practice. And then, just start… sit with your child while they close their eyes and you hand them the keys to the magical world of meditation.
How do I teach my child how to meditate?
Meditation is a practice that is learned gradually and through repetition, anybody can master it with time and practice.
- Find a quiet place
- Set up the meditation mat and have your kid hold or set Thor-The-Meditating-Dragon beside them.
- Incorporate meditation as part of the daily schedule.
- Adjust expectations, it is likely that kids will be impatient or restless at first.
- For Preschool children aim for a few minutes per day. 3-10 minutes for Grade school kids.
- Try incorporating deep breathing into your kids’ daily bedtime routine—it can help them wind down for the night and master meditation faster.
- Remind grade schoolers to take a few deep breaths before answering a difficult question at school, taking a test, or in difficult situations.
What are affirmation cards?
Affirmation cards are statements that encourage positive thinking, calm, and confidence. They leave you with a feeling of peace, calm and clarity while helping with self confidence, self esteem and positivity.